Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Biparitianship In The Air...We'll See


Love Him or Loathe Him, Today is a Good Day
Weeks before the election was underway, I emailed Columbia attorney and former Democratic Party chair Dick Harpootlian...."Who's running Obama's campaign?". He wrote back, "Obama's not a campaign, he's a movement." Looks like Dick was right.

Tuesday's events are catching some flack regarding how much it's all going to cost. Some folks think that in this time of war and financial strife, that it's not good to put on such a "show." I'm not agreeing or disagreeing either way, but it did remind me of a story that stuck with me from when I was on a field trip in D.C. (many years ago).

As the story goes: during the 'Civil War', construction costs for a new U.S. Capitol dome and other improvements drew critical remarks. However, President Abraham Lincoln stressed the importance of continuing the work. To paraphrase Lincoln..."America is a nation of symbols. If people see the Capitol going on, it is a sign that we intend the union will go on."

Who knows if tomorrow's events are the best way to do things, and who knows if Obama will serve to be a great president. Fact is, we need to support it. It's happening.

I have a lot of friends who made the trip to D.C. for the event. I hope when they get back, they'll be happy they did.

No comments: