Friday, January 16, 2009

Even Simple Things Are a Big Deal


Even Lightbulbs at Tennis Center are Complicated
If you know me, you may have noticed that I've started playing tennis a lot lately. I've actually become quite addicted, as I try to play anytime someone will meet me on the court.

As I was paying my $2.00 today at the Columbia Tennis Center, I made the comment..."This place pretty much has a monopoly on downtown night tennis with these lights." He answered back, "Yeah, I wish we could replace some bulbs."

He proceeded to tell me that it costs Columbia residents about $400.00 to replace a light bulb. I looked at him and said, "What???" Apparently it's just not as easy as throwing a ladder up and screwing in a new bulb. He said that the City of Columbia has to do it, and there has to be a certain number of lights that have burned out before they'll engage a crew to replace the bulbs.

I guess I can't argue with budget experts, but it seems very odd that it's such an undertaking to replace a dang light bulb. If it takes this much red tape to get a light bulb in a socket, no wonder Columbia is rather slow with mid to large projects. Jeeesh.

P.S. - I heard that two of the four guys that replace the bulbs are terrified of heights. I'll bet that doesn't help with the hourly rate on the bill.

No comments: